Frequently Asked Questions regarding Electric Bikes, Folding Bikes, and more topics to come soon ...
Electric Bicycles, or e-Bikes are the most practical and the most affordable electric powered transportation solution at the current state of technology:
- e-Bikes achieve the best range/capacity ratio with travel distances from 30 kms (20 miles) to more than 120 kms (80 miles) on a single charge, depending on cycling conditions, and the size of the battery.
- e-Bikes are not limited to that power assisted range, because even if the battery is exhausted the electric bicycles still can be pedaled as any other bicycle.
- The operational cost is also very low - a full 500Wh battery charge costs less than 10 cents here in BC. That battery charge can provide more than 100 kms (60 miles) of traveling distance.
- Not to forget - they are enormously fun and delightful to ride.
These are the main types of electric power assist bicycles:
- Pedal Assist, or Pedelecs (Pedal Electric Cycle) e-Bikes where electrical motor assistance is active only during pedaling and it augments the pedaling action.
- Power on Demand e-Bikes where electrical motor assistance is independent from the pedaling action, and it can completely replace pedaling.
- Power Assist / Power on Demand bikes which provide both features, i.e. Pedal assist assist, and Power on demand can be used separately, or in a combination of each other.
Yes, you can ride an Electric Bicycle in the rain. Our electric bicycles are completely safe to be ridden in the rain. Motors, batteries, and controllers are well sealed and protected that even Vancouver's rain will not hurt them. You should not ride through the water though, which is definitely not recommended for any other type of a bicycle.
Federal, Provincial, and Local regulations prescribe speed limits for electric bicycles. The speed limit means that the motor should not provide any further assistance above the posted limit. The posted limit by the Transport Canada, and the BC Motor Vehicle Act is 32 km/h (20 mph). This limit is basically standard for North America so all brand name electric bicycles sold here are limited to that number. Electric bicycles without limit, or with higher speed limits are for off-road use only. It should be noted that different jurisdictions may have different speed limits, or even different categories.